The S.S.M.E. began in 1906 at Summer Hill in Sydney where members met in a private home to discuss the engineering topics of the day.

Originally known as the Summer Hill Society of Model and Experimental Engineers. In 1912 the name was changed to the Sydney Society of Model and Experimental Engineers and later  shortened to the Sydney Society of Model Engineers.

In 1932 the club rented and then purchased a site on Parramatta Rd at Ashfield.The Society held its first exhibition in January 1933 and continued to operate on that site every Saturday until 1970.

Changing technologies and model engineering interests necessitated larger premises.In October 1971 the Society opened it?s 10 hectare (25 acres) property at Luddenham.

The S.S.M.E. Model Park now supports 12 different sections catering for trains, boats, planes, cars ,slot cars , tether cars , Largescale Offroad and stationary steam models and more.

Sydney Society of Model Engineers Inc. (SSME) is the oldest model engineering club in Australia and the oldest continuously operating Model Engineering Club in the World.

The aim of the society is to promote all forms of model engineering.

The SSME today is located on a rural property in Sydney?s south western suburbs, approximately 50km from the city central business district.

The “Model Park“opens to the public on the last Sunday of every month except December
so the public can come out and see all the models in action.

The kids young or old can also ride on the Passenger Steam Railway as well as try out the slot cars circuit.
There are many members available in all sections for visitors to ask questions or to find out about becoming part of the “Model Park” family.

Skip to toolbar